Wow! October is already here, as is fall (my favorite season). Here is the information for next week (HOMECOMING WEEK!)
Monday, September 29th
COOKIE DOUGH ORDERS ARE DUE!!!!!!!!!!
If your student never came home with information, that is because they chose not to participate. The order forms and brochures have been available to them in the band room for two weeks.
Tuesday, September 30th
Drumline rehearsal begins at 5pm
Full band rehearsal begins at 6:30pm
Thursday, October 2nd
Homecoming Parade (3:30pm start)
We will escort the band to downtown LS for the parade via bus. The parade starts at 3:30pm (families are encouraged to attend). We will take a bus back to LSW by 4:15 or so and students will need to be picked up at that time.
Note: If your child is involved in another activity that will be having a float in the parade and your student would like to participate in that float as well, we expect them to march half of the parade with the band and then ride the other float the second half of the parade. We will be wearing khaki shorts, navy uniform tee shirt, tennis shoes, and socks, as well as our ball cap.
Friday, October 3rd
Homecoming Football Game
Call time will be 5:30pm as we will be wearing our full band uniform (old uniform)
Game time is 7pm
Halftime is around 7:45pm. We will line the field at halftime to be a part of the royalty festivities, but will not march our show until AFTER the game. This means a couple of things:
- We hope you will stick around after the game, and encourage others to do so, to support the band in their performance
- Student dismissal time from the game will be later than normal, we will have them stay in contact by text
Future Items of reference:
- Bronco Invitational (October 11) – we have our performance times, but I’m still putting together a schedule of events for the day. Tentatively plan on your child arriving at West at 11am and returning to West around 7:15pm
- Symphony Orchestra CHANGE – Mr. Mosier has decided NOT to have the full symphony perform on the Fall Concert, therefore, those students will have that evening off.
- We could have a home game on October 24th and/or 31st. Please be ready for this.
All-District Band Auditions
Those students wishing to audition for All-District Band were to have a recording to me by today (Thursday, Sep 25). Dr Sharp has graciously agreed to cover the cost of their audition this year, however, if a student cancels their audition, doesn’t show up, or is not allowed to go due to lack of preparation, they will need to pay back the audition fee. They will have a screening audition with Mr. Thurmond the week of November 3rd
At the end of our competitive marching season, we traditionally celebrate with a season-ending banquet. This year’s banquet is tentatively scheduled for Monday night, November 3rd. Be looking for more information pertaining to information, cost, RSVP for non-students, etc. in the near future.
Have a great weekend!
Clifton D. Thurmond