We’ve got a busy next few months coming in the music program. It’ll take all of our parents to assist in making this a success. There is the Chicago trip that many are going on, a Kauffman Center performance for most of the music students, a large number of students performing solo or small ensembles, virtually all students in the music program will be performing at the state festival and this doesn’t count our year end performances.
Putting this together takes a great deal of work from your music teachers and many key volunteers to coordinate these activities. We however can’t make any of it successful without a large assist from our parents to volunteer. Please see the end of this email to sign up via charms.
Taste of Lee’s Summit – This is held in the evening of March 4th at John Knox Pavilion from 4:30pm-10:00pm
Taste of Lee’s Summit is an evening of fundraising for the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation to help all students across the LS school district. You’ll be able to sample food from various vendors, make bids on fantastic donations from the community and interact with a diverse group of people. We need at least 10 volunteers for this event and there are positions for standing, sitting and walking around – please let me know if you have a preference of what you would like to do.
District Festival – Held at LSW on March 10th from 2:30pm – 9:00pm and March 11th from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
– This festival is for solo and small ensembles, vocal on the 10th and instrumental on the 11th.
– We’ve always made sure that parents are able to watch their student’s performance; please don’t wait to sign up as we’ll continue to do this.
– Charms has the signup for all adults and students. We’ll put everyone where they are needed most as we break down the list.
– We could use assistance from someone with very good excel skills to help us build an excel sheet. This is for us to make the huge job of making sure adults can watch their student perform easier.
Chicago Trip – If you have any questions about where your financial standing might be, when practices are or any questions about the trip please contact Mr. Thurmond.
– Again we need a great number of volunteers for this event, adult and students.
– Parents will be able to see their student perform; this is a much easier task than the District Festival as the big groups perform at this festival.
– March 31st – 2nd/3rd Bands
– April 1st – Choir
– April 5th – 1st Bands
– April 5th – Orchestra
As I said in a previous email – In the past we’ve had around 6500 total students perform at our high school for the entire contest. That doesn’t include the roughly 200+ volunteer positions in addition to family and friends that go through the school as well.
– With roughly 400+ students if we can get one parent per child to volunteer for these events we’ll have no trouble helping to make these Fesitvals the most successful they’ve ever been.
– Students can earn community service for their volunteer time as well and I believe it can also help them letter.
Officer positions – Something else that we need help with is music parent officers. I understand that we all have a great many things going on in our lives. If you’re willing to help the music parents organization provide support to our music teachers and all of our amazing students please let me know. We can put your skills and gifts to use.
Brent Grigsby, LSWMP President
Go to www.charmsoffice.com
Select Enter in the upper right-hand corner and then select Parents/Students/Members
Enter school code: lswhsmusic
Click on the Public Calendar icon
Go to the day that you wish to volunteer and click on the hand (if you know your students number please enter it)