We’re about to start a very busy ending to the year, it’s crazy to think that in just a little over 2 ½ months the school year will be coming to an end. There’s some amazing music to be heard over the next couple of months and I hope everyone will take a few minutes to stop and enjoy it.
It takes a lot of work to make the next couple of months go smoothly but if everyone is willing to give a little bit of their valuable time it’s something we as a group can do together easily. As a music department we have over 500 students, many of which participate in both instrumental and vocal. How many activities in school have that many students associated with it? I’m going to go out on a limb and say none except for the entire student body of the high school. These amazing young adults are why our music teachers need the music parent’s help with so many things; please join me in giving them all the support we can over the next couple of months.
On to the news and notes, I apologize for the length of this email but as I stated it’s a busy time.
Music Festival: March 10th and 11th
- · Thank you to those that have already volunteered for March 10 and 11.
- · March 10 – We still have need for one parent volunteer on the 2:30pm – 6:00pm slot.
- · March 11 – We still have need for one parent volunteer on the 1:15pm – 4:15pm slot.
- · Students – We can use more students in several slots for both days. If the slots are full and you want to volunteer please show up anyway! If you need community service this is a great time to get it, all students need community service to graduate.
- · We’ll need more volunteers at the end of the month/beginning of April and you can sign up for those as well.
- · This music festival can’t be successful without parent and student volunteers.
Music parent officers:
- · Following up from above in order to give the teachers and students the support needed we need an amazing group of parents to help lead us.
o There are a couple of positions available for the upcoming year – treasurer and merchandising.
o Positions that will open up after next year that you could shadow the current person – secretary and band uniforms.
o If those don’t interest you and another position does many of our current officers are more than willing to adjust to other roles because we’re all interested in doing what’s best for the entire music program.
Kauffman Performance: March 12th
- · All information in regards to performance time, schedule to meet at LSW, parking, etc should have been received from the teachers.
- · Students aren’t allowed to carry anything with them into Kauffman Center other than what’s in their pockets. No food is allowed at all.
Chicago trip (this only applies to those going):
- · Packing information will be sent from the teachers this weekend.
- · You should have already received information about departure time, itinerary and bringing their concert outfit(s) with them to Tuesday’s rehearsal.
- · Any questions please direct to the music teachers.
- · Trash bag fundraiser – This is for individual accounts and will begin on April 12th. Look for more information towards the first week of April.
- · Mattress fundraiser – This is a fundraiser for the program as well as the individual student accounts. It will be held on May 6th. We’ll have more information about this at our April 11th meeting.
Seniors – If you’re majoring in music then we’ve got scholarship opportunities for you. Check out a scholarship packet in the guidance counselor office.
· March 10-11 – Solo and Ensemble Contest
· March 12 – Kauffman Performance
· March 14 – Pre Chicago Concert
· March 15 – Band performs at Walmart grand opening
· March 16-21 – Chicago Trip
· March 31 – Large Ensemble Contest 2nd/3rd Bands
· April 1 – Choir Contest
· April 5 – Large Ensemble Contest 1st Bands and Percussion Ensembles
· April 6 – Orchestra Contest
· April 11 – LSWMP Meeting
· April 13 – Lee’s Summit Festival
Charms instructions – use this to sign up for volunteering for adults and students
Go to www.charmsoffice.com
– Select Enter in the upper right-hand corner and select Parents/Students/Members
– Enter school code: lswhsmusic
– Click on the Public Calendar icon
– Go to the day that you wish to volunteer and click on the hand (if you know your students number please enter it)